Installing Joomla 1.6 in wamp is very fast and simple.
1) Download Joomla
2) Make a new folder in www directory > add zip file for Joomla 1.6 installation > Extract Zip file.
3) Open phpmyadmin
4) Create a new database
5) Open localhost in web browser
6) Select language and select Next until you get to database configuration.
7) For database configuration:
a) Type: mysql
c) password: none
d) database name: same as you made with phpmyadmin
e) Change prefix if you want or leave it ‘as is’.
f) Select next
8) Create the administrator username and password and select ‘Next’ until installation is complete.
9) Rename or reemove installion folder when finished