After waiting patiently for 1 year for Joomla 1.6 to be released; RC1 finally came about. Since I had a site that needed a strong user management like Drupal, I had decided to use this version. The alternative would have been to use a Joomla component from Core PHP for $79. However, the news ACL in Joomla 1.6 looks more simpler than community ACL. Although, it is recommended to use the new simplistic RC1 for a production site, in case some security holes are found, I had decided to anyway. Since I will not allow public access to login scripts and would use Linux to block users initially, nobody would have access to frontend or backend locations where most hackers tend to buzz inconveniently. Finally, I would stay on top of any new patches just to be sure.
After first glance using Joomla 1.6 RC1, I decided to test some old templates. Issues existed immediately due to my infamiliarity with Joomla 1.6. For one, if templates are moved into the template folder they will not show up unless you go to Extenions->Extension manager->Discover->Select the template->install. I really was thankful it offered an option to allowing me to use a template without packaging it perfectly. After using Discover setting, you can go back to the template manager and make that template the default site template. I installed an older Artisteer template and it installed, but had a php error. Since I was experimenting, I did not look into the issue. But, it looked fixable.
Another template issue I had noticed was that if I went to the template manager and had any text in the ‘Filter’ box, it would not allow me to select a template. Oh well, I remember that if it happens again. That is one benefit from blogging.
After trying adding a second template manually, I had problems deleting the file. I removed the folder and tried clicking delete in the template manager, but with no success. But, I could remove it manually with php/myadmin or mysql with the command DELETE from template_styles where template = ‘templatename’;. Upon refresh in the Joomla backend; dealing with the manual installation is done.
Next issue I had was that when I tried to manually or with the installer, the templates would not install properly. I found that strange considering both methods worked previously. But, I was able to move the template folders into the master template folder and manually add an entry into the database table template_styles. After adding new entries, they show up in the template list.
Finally, I have noticed a lot of issues with templates compatible with Joomla 1.0 and Joomla 1.5 or Joomla 1.5 moved into 1.6. The only one I did not find had issues was a custom template that was very simple with a single index.php, images, css and html folders. Those templates that had OOP classes derived from commercial software like Artisteer or from a commercial template salesman were not compatible on a first test. With Artisteer, editng the functions.php file will make it work without php error. The code I added was replacing $mainframe->getMessageQueue(); with JFactory::getApplication()->getMessageQueue();. However, the css will need editing to make the template look as desired.
Therefore, if you make a custom template or edit an existing working template, you will be on the right track to building the website.